Hypoallergenic Jewelry

Hypoallergenic Jewelry

In this article we will tell you all about the hypoallergenic jewelry. We try to explain all about the hypoallergenic jewelry facts, myth and related information.

Let’s get started

What are hypoallergenic earrings ?

Hypoallergenic means “less allergenic” or less likely to cause an allergic reaction or sensitivity issues. When it comes to jewelry, sensitivity to some types of metals is a common issue that many people face. It may cause redness, rashes, itching, oozing, and other symptoms. 

Hypoallergenic is a concept that has gained prominence in the jewelry industry to describe metals that are safe to wear. They’re made of metals that don’t trigger allergic reactions, and they don’t contain nickel, which is the most common source of metal allergies. 

The Problem with Hypoallergenic Jewelry

Nickel is a white metal that is used in alloys to give metals strength and colour. Since many people are allergic to nickel, hypoallergenic metals are thought to be nickel-free and safe to wear. 

The products of hypoallergenic or nickel-free don’t mean that they are nickel “free”. It will have some trace amounts of nickel in it, but it will not cause a sensitive reaction to your skin. Simply put, hypoallergenic implies that the level of nickel in the product is below average or slightly allergenic and will not cause any problems.

A Better Way

To avoid the problems of sensitivity there is a more logical and easier way to shop. While shopping for jewelry, instead of searching for hypoallergenic metals, it’s safer to look for healthy metals. In general, the purer metal is, the less likely it is to cause problems. 

Metals That Are Safe to Wear

Platinum is one of the best safest metals to wear because it has the highest purity levels. 

Another one is niobium, it is also nickel-free and very safe to wear metal. It is also extremely durable and does not tarnish or corrode easily. Niobium can be anodized to produce stunning iridescent colours.

Likewise niobium, titanium is also an element. 

It is incredibly heavy, long-lasting, and inexpensive. It is also a common component of surgical implants.

The next one is gold, gold is available in a variety of karat count is an issue here. This metal is very soft, and it is frequently too soft for jewelry. The 24Kt gold is pure gold. Typically, jewelry parts are made of 14kt gold, which is 14 out of 24 karats of pure gold. The less amount of pure gold can cause sensitivity issues to many. 

And apart from all of these stainless steel is one of the cheapest and commonly used pieces of jewelry. It also has small elements of nickel in it. To replace that surgical stainless steel can be used, it is perfect as it is made using different alloys.

What to Avoid

Some metals should be avoided by people who have sensitive skin. White Gold is one such that should be avoided because it generally contains nickel, it is added to enhance whiteness and durability. 

The next one is German Silver. Many people have a misconception that it is silver, but it is not. It is a nickel alloy known as german silver because it looks like silver. 

And the other one is costume jewelry. These are inexpensive jewelry that uses base metals coated in either gold or silver. And these metals mostly contain nickel. So when the metal contact with the skin it irritates the sensitive skins. 

Is surgical steel hypoallergenic

When it comes to hypoallergenic jewelry products, surgical stainless steel is one of the best choices. It is the superior version of the metal stainless steel, which is used by many jewelry users. It has corrosion resistance, tarnish resistance, scratch resistance, and most importantly it is hypoallergenic. 

And as compared to stainless steel it is expensive.

However, one thing that should be noted is that it also has the elements of nickel in it, though the amount of nickel is lower than stainless steel. And importantly if you are hyperallergic it is better not to buy this. 

Is brass hypoallergenic

Brass is a very commonly used metal because it is inexpensive and it looks like gold, and most importantly it is very easy to work. The brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, and sometimes it has the presence of lead and nickel too.

Brass is better not to be used by people with allergies or sensitive skin not only because it may have the element of nickel in it. There is also some hypoallergenic jewelry but brass is an alloy and there is a chance of electrochemical reaction between the elements that can cause allergic reactions.

And secondly, it is not safe to be used for sensitive skins because regular use of brass could cause some allergic reactions like itching. 

Is alloy hypoallergenic

Many people with metal allergies can alleviate their symptoms by switching from an alloy to a pure metal. Alloy includes metal like nickel, which one of the many causes of allergies like itching, skin rashes and even blisters for sensitive skin. 

Is iron hypoallergenic

The fourth most common element in the Earth’s crust is iron. Liquefied iron, sulphur, and nickel make up the majority of the iron in the earth’s molten heart. 

Though iron is not a commonly used metal in jewelry making, some jewelry makers add iron while they make jewelry. And it is not at all good for sensitive skin because this metal has the elements of nickel in it. Nickel is the most common reason for allergies. 

Is zinc hypoallergenic

Now figuring out whether zinc is hypoallergenic or not is a very difficult task. There are two types of zinc alloys: hypoallergenic and non-hypoallergenic. Zinc alloys with copper may or may not cause allergies, depending on your sensitivity. Zinc alloys containing nickel, on the other hand, are non-hypoallergenic and should not be used in earrings or other body piercings. 

Allergies to the zinc metals only depend upon the level of your sensitivity and also upon the quantity of nickel element in one piece of jewelry. 

Is 18k gold hypoallergenic

The allergies to this 18 karat gold also depend upon the sensitivity of one’s skin. 18 karat gold includes the element of nickel in it. The people who are so allergic to the small amount of nickel or who are super sensitive cannot use these 18 karat gold. 

It is always good to use purer gold as 24 karats for sensitive people because these smaller amounts could give allergies such as itchiness or redness to their skin. 

Conclusion

Sensitive skins should be taken very carefully. These skins could cause allergies easily, as to take care remember to wear hypoallergenic jewelry or use pure metals. 

It is always good to use pure metals because they are gallery free and also savings. But these purer metals are expensive and it is not affordable for everyone. 

So as you go to buy jewelry do make sure your jewelry is hypoallergenic and make sure to ask which are metals used in the jewelry.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top